AAUW empowers women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Our nonpartisan, nonprofit organization has more than 150,000 members and supporters across the United States, as well as 1,000 local branches and 700 college and university partners. Since AAUW’s founding in 1881, our members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
The American Association of University Women promotes equity for all women and girls, lifelong education, and positive societal change. In principle and in practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
The Sussex County Branch has been in existence since 1947. In 2021 we celebrated our 65th Birthday!
AAUW Sussex (NJ) Branch Members:
- Hold regular branch meetings with interesting topics, friendship, and fellowship often including lunch.
- Enjoy the company and friendship of other women who value education and equal rights
- Provide scholarships to women attending Sussex County Community College majoring in any of the fields of art
- Share opportunities for activism at the local level with organizations such as the League of Women Voters
- Address gender awareness and sexual harassment in local schools
- Hold an annual Car Rallye to raise funds for scholarships and the national Education Foundation and Legal Advocacy Fund
- Engage in monthly Supper/Book Club; avid readers share their insights of a selected book while enjoying a light supper at a gracious member’s home. The club, an offshoot of our regular branch meetings, meets once a month, usually on Tuesday evenings. Selected readings have included:
- Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
- The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- Off the Hook by Eric Holmelund
- Engage in Film Evenings with members at one of our member’s beautiful home. The Film Evening is also an offshoot of our regular branch meetings, meets once a month, usually on Tuesday evenings. Past selected films:
- The Biography of Eleanor Roosevelt
- Real Girls Have Curves
- Erin Brockovich
- A League of Their Own
- Tea with Mussolini
- Strangers in Good Company
- The Queen
- Ladies in Lavender
For more information about AAUW Sussex County (NJ) Branch, please contact Rebecca Mears.