- January 6, 2018 Planning meeting at the Sparta Methodist Church. Members to decide activities that best suit our chapter.
- February 24, 2018 10 AM Meeting at the Sparta Methodist Church. Guest speaker Anjul Lolacono speaks about THOR Labs and women in the science and technology industries. A regular business meeting followed speaker.
- March 24, 2018 State AAUW Meeting at the Foresgate Country Club in Monroe Township. This annual meeting is entitled Onward and Upward Empowered Women Empowering the Future.
- April 6, 2018 Members traveled to the CTAUN Conference at the United Nations in NYC.
- April 21, 2018 a reception was held with a collaborative effort of the Sussex County Arts and Heritage Council. The exhibit was called The Creative Woman
- May 19, 2018 members of the Sussex County Branch of AAUW will travel to Ocean Grove for a walking tour of famous women’s homes in Ocean Grove and History behind each home. The lecture will be led by history professor Dr. Lyndell O’Hara. Lunch and discussion to follow at the Starving Artist.
- June 16, 2018 the branch will cosponsor their annual Road Rallye along with motorsports club of Sussex County Road Rallye will start at 11 AM with registration at 10 am from the Byram McDonalds. The course will end at Chun Bo Restaurant on Sparta Avenue in Newton NJ.
- June-July, 2018 Family Picnic at Arlene Fritchie’s home. Date TBD.
THE MOTORSPORT CLUB OF NORTH JERSEY/NORTHERN NJ SCCA AND AAUW SUSSEX COUNTY BRANCH
SPONSOR A ROAD RALLYE
HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL
On Saturday, August 26th, 2017 the AAUW of Sussex County will be sponsoring a road rally along with the Motorsport Club of Northern NJ and the Northern NJ SCCA. In person registration begins at 10 AM and first car leaves parking lot at 11:01 AM. Trophies will be awarded for each class: expert intermediate, and Novice…… Additional awards for: Best first timer, best SCCA., Best BMWCC, best family, best husband and wife, Dead last but finished.
Come and enjoy about 60 miles of spectacular roads and scenery. The rallye will test your ability to follow precise instructions along an intricate course at legal speeds on little-used public roads.This is not a race.
No rallying experience or special equipment is necessary. All you need is a car with a working odometer plus paper and pencil. A briefing will be held shortly after sign-up. Please plan on staying after the rallye for lively discussion and the presentation of trophies, which should be complete no later than 4 PM.
PREREGISTRATION IS ENCOURANGED AND IS OPEN NOW AT WWW.MCNJ.ORG
COST IS $30 PER CAR WHICH WILL BE DONATED TO AAUW’S SCHOLARSHIP FUND
ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL LYNN BECKMANN AT 862 268 1782 OR EMAIL HER AT BLEK@PTD.NET.
STARTING POINT: MCDONALDS ON RT 206 BYRAM IN FRONT OF SHOP RITE.
ENDING POINT: BUCK HILL BREWERY AND RESTAURANT RT 94 BLAIRSTOWN, NJ
We will be celebrating our end of the year meeting with a picnic at Arlene and Bob Fritsches home. Family fun and covered dishes will make for a fun day all day. A Happy Birthday cake will be provide to celebrate Happy Birthday Malala..a bit early. It is nice to meet hubbies, significant others and kids.
Branch members are encouraged to attend the national AAUW convention this year. Ask about room and expense sharing and possible car pooling.
May 20th we will be attending a tour of the DAR Mansion on Rt 23 North in Sussex, NJ at 10 AM. This tour will be followed by Lunch at the Elias Cole Restaurant and a business meeting. What a hidden treasure! AAUW Sussex County was surprised at the local history in this mansion and the beautiful original furniture. The docents were very knowledgeable about the history of the house and the owners. What a fantastic time we had.
At a recent Women’s Retreat held at SCCC, in April, Sussex County AAUW displayed what we do and what we stand for. We received positive feedback from many women ready to join. Information was passed out along with give=aways. The display was eye catching and drew many prospective women in to see more.
On April 4, 2017, a group of AAUW Members, led by Dr. Mary Rapuano, took a bus load of 7th grade l girls to Thor Labs in Newton. The girls learned about possible jobs in science and technology that are available to them. Thor Labs bought the girls lunch and answered many questions. Look out future scientists!
On March 18, 2017 Judge Lorraine Parker and Dr. Jon Connolly spoke to group to encourage us to get involved more with Project Self Sufficiency and SCCC ( Sussex County Community College) We can volunteer and assist students to pass their GED’s and encourage them to progress.
President Linda Adams and Bev Kinney of the virtual branch have also met with the director of project self sufficiency. She needs help with the little sprouts for guest readers, etc and also tutoring older students in math and language arts so that they can also pass their GED.
We were honored, on February 18th, with a discussion of changes in education and how they effect us all. Dr. Fulton led a discussion group of the pros and cons of the voucher system and charter schools.
We all brown bagged it at Bristol Glen in Newton, NJ many people from different groups came to listen and add to the discussion.